I installed this because this is what a client uses. After using it successfully for a while, I had some sort of glitch that closed down the connection to the server. Since then, I’ve been unable to establish a connection. Through various trials and tribulations, I’ve determined the problem is likely a corrupt file on my machine, but no amount of re-installing, or running AppCleaner, or any other method has resulted in success.
Given the history of this thing working, I’d have rated this a 3, but the fact that the SoniWALL Mobile Connect Support page linked to here is a bad link, and in general, I find Dell a company that is more a barrier than a benefit. If you don’t have to use this, I recommend you don’t.